Implementing strong communication and coordination processes with visiting health practitioners is key to ensuring consistency of care within your residential aged care facility.
Clients in residential aged care have high medical needs, and are reliant on the expert medical services that are delivered by external professionals. However, in the hustle and bustle of daily operations, it is easy for wires to get crossed. For this reasons, robust processes must be in place to ensure a smooth continuum of care between visiting doctors and RACF staff.
Your organisation should have a policy in place that outlines:
- Processes to check the registration or professional status of visiting practitioners;
- Agreements and protocols regarding the delivery of clinical care, including medication management
- Processes to monitor outcomes of clinical care delivered by visiting practitioners;
- Processes to support effective communication between the workforce and visiting
- Clearly delineated roles and responsibilities for both the organisation, and for visiting health practitioners
We have developed a policy template that addresses these key areas. Find it in the Reading Room:
- Policy: Arrangements for visiting health practitioners